Jussie sails with Clipper 11-12

Jussie sails with Clipper 11-12
I sailed the last leg (8) in 2012 - USA,Nova Scotia,Ireland,Netherlands & UK. Travelling 4,000 miles, approx 22 days at sea, with 4 races in this leg.

Sunday 20 June 2010

BOOM!!

Transplant Games Update - The Story so Far

My shortest, quickest, less waffled blog update.....I will not talk much ;)

My double-lung transplant was July 9th 2006.

The UK Games are every year, and the European Games every 2 years.

In 2007 I did my first ever UK - Edinburgh Transplant Games and won nothing..hahaha!!

In 2008 I did both the UK Games - Sheffield and won 1 bronze + European Heart & Lung TX Games -France, whereby I won 3 silvers.

In 2009 for the UK - Coventry Games I won 2 bronze and 1 silver.

So....this year, 2010, I will be competing again for European Heart & Lung Games - Sweden and for the UK Games - Bath. In theory, each year I have achieved and done better. I tend to do better at the Euro Games, as competing against fairer levels, as heart/lungs are not on the same level as smaller organ types transplanted (at the UK Games, such as kidneys,livers,small bowel). I really would like therefore to up my achievements in Sweden and get my first ever Gold, and for the UK to keep up with bronze/silver (Gold for me at the UK, near impossible competing with smaller organs...grrrrr....lol).

Its not about winning, as taking part really IS the achievement and being alive. But, I train hard and like the weight of medals ;) Also for those asking, I am away from end June-beginning July for whistlestop travelling in Norway, then onto Sweden wherby, I will travel with the Norwegian Transplant Team into Sweden. Happy Days. See you all when I get back & will blog update with piccies when I get a free moment. 6 weeks after returning back home - in August the UK Games begin & so will my training again!! x x x

9 comments:

  1. Good Luck Justine, bring homke so more medals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with all your competing this year.

    I just felt I had to say something about your talk about 'small organ transplants'. I've had a small bowel transplant and it's definitely not a small transplant, in my view it's definitely one of the more complex ones. Everyone's recovery time varies with transplants, but it took me a long time to recover from my transplant. It's difficult to understand the tone of messages on the Internet, so I just wanted to say that this isn't written in an angry way, but I don't want people to think that small bowel transplants are comparable to liver and kidney transplants and are a walk in the park.

    Moll x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Jusine. I will be Cheering for you to do well. I think your really outstanding with all of this. Keep up the good work Justine.

    Luv & Best Wishes

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  4. cheers everyone, and Moll I agree with you in terms of recovery, and appreciate your comment. I guess I meant in terms of fitness, generally other organs fitness levels are returned to normal (if no other setbacks). That is why heart & lungs have their own games for this reason. Also, now - kidneys have their own games too (incl kidney dialysis) So, competing gets fairer xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Justine. Yeah that makes sense, I see what you were trying to say now, whereas I didn't quite understand that before. I don't know a huge amount about other types of transplants so it's interesting to learn. Does that mean that things like your lung function now will never be the same as that of someone with healthy natural lungs?

    Moll x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. well I should have good lung function post tx,most lung transplantees do I guess. I dont, only due to RSV post TX that damaged my new lungs..hence why struggle sometimes @ hoping LAM behaves!!! And also, I prob do more than the average person who does have full lung function..lol x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear that Justine. I guess I don't quite understand what you meant about lung transplant fitness levels not returning to normal.

    Moll x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Justine

    I'm new to this blogging / twitter etc but have been reading up on your blog and wanted to say how amazing you are. You really are a walking advert of how much difference a transplant can make and allow to live a very normal active life and it sounds like you are making the most of every second of it!

    Best of luck in the transplant games, hope you do really well and I look forward to talking to you some more in the future!

    Love Kerry xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just always blown away by all that you have and continue to achieve...always aiming high and taking on any setbacks as they come. I cant wait to hear all about your transplant games...so far, I think via fcbk I can tell that you've won some amazing medals already. Super well done, more than deserved hunny! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger